Woodlands Park Hotel

Signature at Coombe Hill Manor Enquiries

0203 7338141
(Accommodation enquiries)
Back to News & Events

Woodlands Park Hotel

To escape the freezing winds, grey skies and spluttering rain of January 2017, the Activities team decided to take some of Coombe Hill Manor’s Residents to the Woodlands Park Hotel for some Tea & Cake. The Gothic-inspired designs for Woodlands Park House came to fruition in 1885, where the most modern innovations were incorporated and Woodlands Park became one of the first country houses with electric light, renowned for the grandeur of its oak panelled Grand Hall. Set in the centre of private farmland, its gardens and lawns originally stretched down to the River Mole. The house became a centre for Edwardian Society in Surrey, with regular weekend house parties and lavish dinners hosted by the Bryant family. The then Prince of Wales, who became King Edward VII, was a regular visitor, with his famous friend, the actress Lillie Langtry, who was also a friend of Oscar Wilde. After the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the Woodlands Park became a luxury hotel with terms from four guineas per week. During the Second World War, Middlesex County Council purchased the house and converted it to a home for the elderly. This use continued until 1975, when the house was used as a residential educational centre. Following extensive alterations, the house was re-opened as a hotel in April 1981. Seven years later, the hotel closed for a short time for modernisation, which is when the Prince of Wales Suite and additional bedrooms were added. The Residents enjoyed their beverages and cakes, whilst taking in the splendid décor of the Hotel. A truly special time was had by all!

Back to News & Events